The Macy’s Fourth of July fireworks show is again with a bang.
The forty sixth annual star-spangled salute from New York City guarantees to “ignite the night” with greater than 48,000 exploding shells and pyrotechnic results illuminating the sky over the East River for 25 minutes on Monday night time.
“It’s going to be super dynamic,” Will Coss, the chief producer of Macy’s Fourth of July fireworks, informed MarketWatch. “It’s a really robust show, a really big show, filled with new colors and new effects.”
Viewers who don’t dwell in the Big Apple can tune into NBC’s nationwide broadcast from 8 to 10 p.m. ET/PT, or 7 to 9 p.m. CT/MT on Monday, and NBC will even have an hour-long encore presentation from 10-11 p.m. ET. Check your native listings.
You may stream the fireworks on Comcast’s
Peacock service, or watch NBC Live on-line, or watch it dwell by way of YouTube TV
Hulu+ Live TV and Sling TV.
NYC residents can try Macy’s spectator website right here for maps on the place to watch the fireworks in-person from Midtown East, and alongside the Queens and Brooklyn riverfronts.
Related: Fourth of July journey: 42 million folks to hit the street, regardless of fuel costs
The Independence Day particular will embrace musical performances by 5 Seconds of Summer, Brett Eldredge, Carly Pearce and Pitbull, in addition to the forged of Freestyle Love Supreme, which incorporates “Hamilton” star and creator Lin-Manuel Miranda.
But the primary occasion — the fireworks themselves — raise off at roughly 9:25 p.m. ET. And Coss informed MarketWatch that each component in this 12 months’s show has been specifically choreographed to a musical rating curated by Ray Chew, the musical director for ABC’s
“Dancing with the Stars,” which options jazz, hip-hop, rock and nation tunes, in addition to patriotic requirements just like the nationwide anthem. Soul singer Kenny Lattimore and the Community Baptist Church Choir additionally carry out “Lift Every Voice and Sing” for the soundtrack.
Macy’s Fourth of July fireworks are about to get lit.
“We’re really showcasing all that American music has to offer,” stated Coss.
But there’s no upstaging the fireworks themselves. While Macy’s wouldn’t disclose what they’re spending to throw the self-described largest Fourth of July fireworks show in the nation, business insiders have put the cost in the $6 million to $7 million ballpark. “This is a multi-million dollar event,” Julie Heckman from the American Pyrotechnics Association beforehand informed MarketWatch. “The fireworks and those barges are gonna be in the six figures, but then you’ve got the live entertainment, staging, traffic management and security costs.”
Related: July 4 forecast: Inflation is elevating the price of summer season BBQs by 17% to $70 on common, earlier than alcohol
And this 12 months’s show options results in 30 completely different colours, together with new shades of grasshopper inexperienced, gamboge (a saffron-like shade) and titanium, in addition to new shapes together with tall hats, mushrooms and interlocking rings. What’s extra, one-third of the shells will burst with a number of results — so the preliminary starbursts lead to different animated parts, corresponding to color-changing ghosts, winking smiley faces and howling wolves, Coss stated.
The 2022 Macy’s Fourth of July fireworks celebration calls itself the nation’s largest Independence Day pyrotechnic show — and for good motive.
“You’re going to see the fireworks really dance to the music this year in a way that’s gonna be fun and delightful for our audience,” he stated.
Here’s a take a look at the 2022 Macy’s Fourth of July fireworks celebration by the numbers.
- More than 48,000 shells and results might be launched from 5 barges unfold about 1 mile alongside the East River in New York City, with greater than 1,900 shells and results blasting off per minute for 25 minutes.
- More than 17,000 firing cues will launch the shells and results, which embrace new shapes like tall hats, mushrooms, tricolor interlocking rings and blinking smiling faces.
- The fireworks and results will sparkle in 30 completely different colours, together with traditional pink, white and blue, in addition to particular shades corresponding to grasshopper inexperienced, gamboge (a yellow shade someplace between deep saffron and mustard yellow) and silvery titanium.
- One-third of the shells will explode with a number of results, corresponding to starbursts main into animated parts like color-changing ghosts and howling wolves.
- The explosive shells vary from 3 ounces to 30 kilos in dimension, and the shell with the longest length will final for 12.43 seconds, or simply beneath 13 minutes.
- It takes 50 pyrotechnicians 10 days to load in and set every thing up, and the setup consists of 15 explosive containers, 48 tons of metal mortar, 1,000 stabilizing sandbags and 48,000 digital matches.